Essie Cashmere Mattes Review + Swatches

Do you guys know how much I love Essie?  Do you? Well if you don't know....I LOVE ESSIE.  I love the small square bottles.  I love the white caps.  I love how they line up so neatly in a drawer in my melmer.  So...yeah.  I. Love. Essie.  Moving on...


I recently found the Cashmere Matte Collection in Target and even though I hadn't seen any swatches, I knew I had to have them!  I picked up four of the six polishes from this collection.  This post will cover my review and swatches of these four polishes:




Follow the jump below to see more pictures and read my review of these polishes!




The Essie Cashmere Matte collection is described as a semi-satin finish with micro reflective pearls.  These polishes are meant to be worn without topcoat for a soft "spun" look.  However, us nail addicts know there is always more than one way to wear a polish!

Warning: please excuse the discrepancy in my skin tone between the pictures.  These pictures are not altered in any way.  The difference in skin colors comes from my lighting.  I'm still figuring out the best lighting situation for my pictures.  I apologize!


Wrap Me Up

First up is Wrap Me Up which is described as a "whisper soft neutral pink."  This doesn't look pink at all to me, more of an off-white/cream color.  But thats part of the reason why I got it! I love colors like this.  

Application:  I can't lie, the application for the polish is horrendous.  The first time I swatched it, I had to remove it because it looked so bad.  The formula was a bit goopy and in return the polish went on very streaky.  I wasn't expecting that type of formula because I usually have good luck with Essie formula.  However, I did not give up!  I swatched it again.  I took my time, I went super slow and I did extremely thin coats.  I found this was the best way to use this polish.  I also wore Essie Grow Stronger base coat.  A base coat will help the polish go on much smoother and will look less streaky.  

Below you will find a picture of this polish without topcoat and then a picture of this polish with topcoat.  I used Essie Good to Go as my topcoat.  This is three coats. 

No topcoat



Topcoat added


All Eyes on Nudes

Nude polish, you say?! I must have it!  I have a serious addiction to nude polishes and this has become an instant favorite.  All Eyes on Nudes is described as a "camel-hued neutral tone."  Sure.  However you want to describe it, it's an awesome nude!  This will obviously look different depending on your skin tone.  I love how well it went with my skin tone.  I also don't mind mannequin hands.  

Application:  The application of this polish was a little better than Wrap Me Up but still similar in the fact that it was streaky and thick.  I did very thin coats over Essie Grow Stronger to get the best application.  

Below you will find a picture of this polish without topcoat and a picture of this polish with topcoat.  I used Essie Good to Go as my topcoat.  This is three coats.


No Topcoat



Topcoat added


Just Stitched

Just Stitched is described as a "warm pearly-plush pink" - interesting description, huh?  I actually think this pink is quite cool in tone (which may be why it doesn't look so great against my warm toned skin) but maybe Essie is referring to it being warm like a cashmere sweater?  Hmmm....  This color is unique in that it has a blue pearlescent shimmer to it.  

Application:  This color was also streaky but with very thin coats, a bit of patience, and a good base coat, I made it work.  I ended up doing 4 coats of polish to reach the opacity I wanted.  

Below you will find a picture of this polish without topcoat and a picture of this polish with topcoat.  I used Essie Good to Go as my topcoat.  This is 4 coats. 

No Topcoat



Topcoat Added

The blue shimmer was a bit difficult to capture on camera and is much more noticeable in person.  It looked gorgeous with topcoat on!


Spun in Lux

When I first saw Spun in Lux, I thought it was a black polish with blue shimmer.  Actually, I still do think this is a black polish with blue shimmer.  However, it is described as a "sophisticated matte blue-black."  

Application: Out of the four polishes I purchased from this collection, this polish had the best application.  It went on very easy, I did not have to use super thin coats, and the coverage was great.  I only had to use 2 coats to reach full opacity (and you guys know I'm a chronic three-coater).  

Below you will find a picture of this polish without topcoat and a picture of this polish with topcoat.  I used Essie Good to Go as my topcoat.  This is 2 coats.

No Topcoat



Topcoat added

The blue shimmer was very hard to capture on camera and was much more apparent in person, much like Just Stitched.


Overall, I do like the polishes I purchased from this collection.  However, I am a bit disappointed by the poor formula in most of them.  I do wish these were a bit easier to use.  If you're the type of person who doesn't have patience with your polish, I would suggest staying far away from these.  Lucky for me, I am the type of person that will put in the effort if I really love a polish.  I think these are gorgeous both matte/satin and glossy.  I can see myself using them as the base for some nail art as well.  

Which polishes are you loving from this collection?  Which polishes did/will you purchase from this collection?  I would love to hear your thoughts!


As always, thanks for stopping by!





6 comments

  1. Just stitched is so pretty!! Love the shimmer it has..!!! I didn't even know they had this collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of surprised me too! I saw it at Target before I really knew about it. Although I'm not very good at keeping up with upcoming collections.

      Delete
  2. I love spun in Lux! Looks beautiful on you. I definitely must get that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only one that would look decent with my skin tone (little darker than caramel-y brown) is Spun in Lux out of the whole collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I bet the lighter colors would look DIVINE on that skin-tone!!!

      Delete